Will My Home Insurance Cover Pipe Bursts?

Specific types of water damage are covered under most homeowners insurance but that doesn’t always include burst pipes. Some policies will cover water damage that is caused by burst water pipes if the cause is deemed an act of God. A burst pipe that is caused by faulty plumbing or a malfunctioning appliance can pose a unique situation where only part of the damages will be covered. In these cases, usually, the cost of repairing the pipes will be your responsibility to cover. If it is determined that the burst was caused by normal wear and tear, you may be responsible for the entire amount.

HO-2 vs HO-3 Policies

An HO-2 policy offers broad but very basic coverage that will cover most types of damage. This includes the damage from burst water pipes, with a few exceptions. An HO-3 policy goes a step further and will cover any type of water damage that isn’t listed as an exclusion. Common exclusions include flooding, sewer back-ups, and foundation leaks. Water damage that leads to black mold is also considered an exclusion and may not be covered.

Certain Perils May Not Be Covered

When it comes to water damage, it is up to the homeowner to prove that the damage was caused by an unpredictable event and not basic wear and tear. If plumbing is more than a few years old, the insurance company may deny your claim based on the fact that the damages were caused by normal wear and tear. When the water damage is allowed to remain in place and black mold begins to form, the insurance company can also deny the claim if you have an HO-2 policy.

Partial Coverage

There are situations in which at least part of the water damage may be covered. When a burst pipe claim is approved, the insurance may cover the actual water damage but will deny the part of the claim requesting compensation for repairing the pipes themselves. All policies are somewhat different in how they are written. Some policies may cover specific perils or incidents, while others won’t. This applies to exclusions as well. It is important to understand your policy’s details to know what types of partial coverage are included.

Ask for a Policy Review

Many people do not know all the details of what their insurance does and does not cover. If you fall into that category, call your insurance company, and ask for a review of your homeowners policy. Your agent will go over what is covered and what is not so that you have a full understanding of everything that is included in your policy. You will also be able to ask any questions you may have about whether or not your policy is sufficient to meet your needs.

Don’t wait until you have a pipe burst to find out if you have the right type of homeowners insurance coverage. Take the time to review your policy and ask whatever questions you need to to feel secure that you have enough coverage. After a review, you may choose to upgrade your policy to ensure you have the type of coverage you want. For assistance with all your insurance needs and questions, contact the experts at Miller Carlisle Insurance Services in Carlisle, PA. We will help you get the right coverage you need.