Household Items That Are Poisonous to Pets!

Hazards To Pets Within The HomeEnsure the safety of your beloved pet by keeping clear of these items.

From scraps to whole meals, dogs and cats have a tendency to eat anything in the house that they can. Unfortunately, some of these items, which may seem harmless, are incredibly dangerous for our furry friends to encounter. From household items to houseplants, keep these poisonous, all too often lethal items away from your pets.

  • Ibuprofen: This medicine can inhibit the blood flow to the kidneys and attacks the stomach lining of pets. Cats are more sensitive to ibuprofen poisoning – a single 200mg tablet could be fatal! Keep your medicines tucked away and take extra caution when handling this bottle.
  • Cocoa Mulch: Cocoa mulch comes from cocoa shells, so it’s no surprise that it’s as deadly as chocolate. The caffeine and theobromine are highly toxic for dogs, should they decide to nibble on the mulch in the garden. Avoid using any of this mulch.
  • Azaleas: Steer clear of this bloom! The Azalea bushes contain grayanotoxin, which is poisonous even in small quantities.
  • Antifreeze: This has a deceptively sweet taste and smell which can tempt your dogs and cats to lap up the liquid. This is a silent killer and can be instantly lethal! Store this well out of the way of any prying paws and take extra caution when handling it.

If you suspect that your pet has accidentally ingested any of these household substances, contact your local vet immediately! Luckily, pet insurance can cover the cost of life-saving veterinary care for your pets so you can always protect them. Visit Miller Insurance Associates in Carlisle, Pennsylvania for the quality pet insurance that you and your furry friend deserve!