Insurance That College Students Need

Here are some of the coverages that your college student should have in place.Insurance That College Students Need

Is your child heading off to college this fall? If so, it’s important that they are ready to handle everything that comes their way. One of the best ways to ensure that they are prepared is by securing the right insurance coverage to meet their needs. Here are some of the coverages that your student might need this semester.

  • Renters Insurance

Whether your child is living on or off-campus, they will need protection for their personal belongings. Getting the right renters insurance will ensure that they have coverage for any possessions that are damaged or stolen. Additionally, securing the right renters policy will also ensure that they are covered in the event that a personal liability issue arises.

  • Auto Insurance

If your student plans on taking a car with them to campus, they will need to have the right auto insurance protections in place. If your child’s school is in-state, they will likely have coverage under your family’s existing auto policy. However, if they are attending school out-of-state or if they meet certain conditions, they may need their own policy. Be sure to speak to your auto insurance provider to learn about all their coverage options.

  • Health Insurance

Nowadays, colleges require students to have some minimum level of health insurance. Generally, schools offer students the option of enrolling in a school health program or showing proof of coverage under a parent’s policy. If you want to keep your child under your health policy, make sure you speak to your insurer and your child’s school to ensure that they will have adequate coverage.

These are some of the insurance protections that your college student should have in place.  Looking for assistance with your personal coverage needs?  Then contact the experts at Miller Carlisle Insurance Services today.